Thursday, November 15, 2007

They never get past arm's length...

Lately I've been thinking a lot about what the best way to reach people is. I think so often we as chrisitans get caught up in trying to give the right answers and say the right thing, that we forget to be real. We put on this fake front of the strong, caring person that has it all together, and I think a lot of the time, people don't want to see that. I've realized that even myself, when I am struggling with stuff and when life gets hard, I don't need to hear the answers. Sometimes all I need is for someone to listen, and share in the brokenness. If people think that you are "perfect", why will they want to listen? Its when you open up and say "hey, I don't know exactly what you're feeling and I can't relate in the same way, but this is how I've messed up, and this is where I'm struggling, and this is how I'm getting through." I don't know why that is so hard to do, and I suppose thats something I need to work on, 'cause the fake church girl front really only messes you up lol. And I can say all this having been on both sides of the spectrum, we all just want someone to care. Are we being honest enough to show that we do?

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Good post, Erika. I saw your mom at the store today. Have a happy Thanksgiving. :-)